Monday, February 25, 2013

Poppyseed Bread

Here's a re-post of a recipe I shared this week on Sumo's Sweet Stuff.

Today I'm going to share a recipe that's been a family favorite for many years - Poppyseed Bread. I love this recipe because it's simple yet delicious - once you collect the ingredients, you'll be able to keep them on hand and whip this up whenever you need to. It seems that in the spring, I find myself constantly needing to contribute a dish for one event for another. This is perfect for baby showers, teacher appreciation events, brunch, or just about anything! You can make it in either loaf pans or muffin tins, and either way it turns out great. 


Katie's Poppyseed Bread

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. poppyseeds
3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
2 1/2 c. sugar

Wet Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. oil
2 t. vanilla extract
2 1/2 t. almond extract
1 1/2 c. milk

Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. milk
1/2 t. almond extract

First, combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Then, add the wet ingredients, beating well. Pour batter into two greased and floured 4x8 in. loaf pans, and bake at 350. The original recipe we got from a friend years ago said 30-40 minutes, but for me, these larger loaf pans always take over an hour (about 65 minutes). I'd set your timer to 40, and then check on them in increments of 5-10 minutes and note what time works for your oven. For muffins, bake for 20-30 minutes. Your bread is done when a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean. The edges may darken quite a bit more than the center, but don't worry about it as long as it's not burned. Allow loaves to cool, and then top with the glaze.

Yield: Two 4x8 loaves or 3 dozen muffins

Note: On my original handwritten recipe card, I have the "bake 30-40 minutes" crossed out in angry black ink, and replaced it with "bake for 1,000 years." So don't be surprised if this takes longer to bake than you would think. Apparently it did for me too, and made me somewhat enraged.

Pin It!

No comments: