Friday, January 3, 2014

Favorite Books of 2013!

I set a goal again in 2013 to read 50 more books. I set this goal in 2012 and blogged about my 4- and 5-star books from that year. Now another year has gone by, and it's time to recommend my favorites from 2013! As always, you can find me on Goodreads if you want another friend to follow!

As I mentioned last year, to me, a 5-star review means that I loved it, couldn't stop thinking about it, and couldn't wait to get back to reading it. Also that I think most people would enjoy reading it. A 4-star review means that I really liked it, couldn't wait to finish it, and I think most people that like the same types of books that I do would enjoy reading it. And again I'll throw in a disclaimer that while I have a low threshold for gore and violence in books, I have a fairly high threshold for sex and language, so there are probably books on my list that would be R-rated in the movie world. Consider yourselves warned. :)

This year I'm going to rank them in order (roughly), starting with my favorite. I made sure to add a review for all my 5-star books if I hadn't already written one. But for my 4-star books, if I originally wrote a review, it's there. If not, it's not.

5-Star Books

WonderWonder by R.J. Palacio
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

By far my favorite book of 2013. I loved it so much that I bought it in hardcover, making it exactly the second book I have purchased in the past 5 years. This is the story of a 5th grader who was born with a facial deformity, and his experiences as he adjusts to going to school for the first time. I loved the characters, the dialogue, and the family dynamics of this book. As soon as I finished it, I was recommending it to everyone I knew!

View all my reviews The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom ThumbThe Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a historical fiction account of Mrs. Tom Thumb, who essentially spent her life on display at the circus, and how she tried to rise above it. While this is not fact-based enough to be considered a biography, I learned a lot about the era, and the historical figures in the book. I couldn't shut up about this book for like a week after I read it - I wanted to talk about it to everybody!

View all my reviews Okay for NowOkay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Usually for me, a 5-star review is one where I honestly think that ANYBODY would enjoy the book - it's that good. I can't say that's the case here, but here are the reasons I had to rate it 5 stars anyway:
1. On page 3, Gary Schmidt was already describing Doug and his life so perfectly, I had to log back onto Goodreads to see if this book was a memoir. That's how well he captured this character.
2. It's not unusual for me to read late into the night, feeling guilty about it and knowing I'll be tired but it'll be worth it, blah blah blah. The difference last night is that I realized with a jolt at 1:30am that I was a separate person apart from this book - I was so completely immersed in Marysville, New York, circa 1968, that I literally forgot that I was even reading.

It did meet my other 5-star requirement of "not being able to stop talking about it." I wanted to discuss this book with everyone I encountered tonight after finishing it.

Gary Schmidt writes amazing characters. They're unique, they're lovable, they're vulnerable. I was so invested in these characters, that I found myself gasping out loud or breaking into ridiculously huge grins - not normal for me. Anyway, loved this book. Great read.

View all my reviews Memoirs of an Imaginary FriendMemoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I literally could NOT put this book down. I devoured it in one sitting, and was left wanting more. Though some parts in the middle dragged, the originality of the storyline and the strength of the writing bumps this book up to 5-star territory for me. I was not surprised to read that the author is an elementary school teacher - he captures the elementary school experience so perfectly. In fact, the more I think about why I enjoyed it so much, I realize that he perfectly captured so many things I can relate to - working with students on the Autism spectrum, being a mother, the relationships between staff members at a school, the art of being a teacher, etc. Loved it.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly CloseExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I kind of wanted to rate this 4 stars, because the entire time I was reading this, I felt so sad, and it really wasn't a pleasant experience in that way. But I know this is a book that will stick with me, and some of the writing was just so amazing - so 4 stars just didn't really feel right. Poor little Oskar - he just got in my head. It was so heartbreaking to read about his guilt and regrets over the death of his dad. I loved his character. The only thing I didn't like about the book is that it changed narrators, and it was confusing to me at times who was speaking and when in the story they were narrating. I loved the extra story of his grandparents, and I'm glad it's in there, but maybe the audiobook would have been good for me so that I knew who was narrating. Anyway, this was a heavy book about loss and grief, but it was beautifully written and I think I loved it.

 4-Star Books

The Snow ChildThe Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



View all my reviews


  The Aviator's WifeThe Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






 The Lions of Little RockThe Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






 Hold StillHold Still by Nina LaCour
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






 Me Before YouMe Before You by Jojo Moyes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was really torn between 4 and 5 stars for this book. I loved Lou and Will's love story, and I thought the author painted what I imagine to be a realistic picture of someone in Will's situation. It was a unique and interesting love story and plot. But.... was it amazing? Probably not. But I did really, really enjoy it.

 Looking for AlaskaLooking for Alaska by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

John Green was the author of my favorite book from last year, The Fault in Our Stars. I love him because he creates such realistic teenage characters and relationships. He really captures the dialogue, friendships, thoughts, and first loves of high schoolers, in a realistic and not-demeaning way. I didn't think this was as wonderful as The Fault in Our Stars, but it was WORLDS better than The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, another teenage/boarding school/feminist/teenage friendship/pranking book. They were so similar in many ways, but John Green just really nails the teenage experience in a way that no one else can. I think I would have been absolutely in love with this book had I read it as a teenager. His characters and their relationships remind me so much of my high school experience. Well, aside from all the drinking and smoking. ;)

 When You Reach MeWhen You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an easy, quick Young Adult read - got through it in about two hours. I loved the characters and the plot, and never could have put it down.



 The Best Bad Luck I Ever HadThe Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






 Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest TrailWild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
My rating: 4 of 5 stars







A Grown-Up Kind of PrettyA Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I fell in love with the three female characters in this book, and their relationships with each other. I'm such a sucker for books that involve a changing point-of-view, and the relationships between mothers and daughters. I thought the youngest of the three, Mosey, was written as a very true-to-life teenager, and I loved her exchanges with her mother and her grandmother. One of the characters narrating the story has had a stroke, and I found her chapters so interesting, to see how the author had her describe events and her life, even as she's had this "brain event." I was actually enjoying the book so much I toyed with giving it 5 stars, even though I feel stupid doing that for "chick lit" books, but then some of the events at the end got a little ridiculous, in my opinion. But a solid 4-stars. Not a life-changer, but I enjoyed every minute of reading it while snuggled up on the couch.

 GoldGold by Chris Cleave
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While this won't go down in history as one of my favorites, I did really enjoy it. The ending was so suspenseful to me, I was skipping half a page at a time just trying to see what happened. And while I know that some people found the ending a little too tidy and "Hollywood," I'll be honest - I like my books to end that way. :)


The VoiceThe Voice by Jennifer Anne Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars







The Silver Linings PlaybookThe Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars





Pin It!

No comments: