Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How-Tuesday: How To Resize a Bunch of Pictures at the Same Time

Guest posting today for How-Tuesday is Janelle from Somewhat Singleminded sharing with us an easy way to resize photos! Thanks, Janelle!

Hello, my name is Janelle and I have two blogs.

This is my public blog.

I post a lot more photos on my private blog. I think that’s one of the reasons I like it better. It’s also one of the reasons I sometimes used to hate it.

My old blog system used to go like this:
1.       Major holiday!
2.       Take lots of pictures of everything festive!
3.       Procrastinate.
4.       Procrastinate.
5.       Choose a ton of photos to include in festive family holiday blog post.  Copy and paste them into a “To Blog” folder.
6.       Procrastinate.
7.       Whine a little bit.
8.       Open Paint and shrink photos, sometimes 80+ photos, one at a time.
9.       Write some words.
10.   Insert some photos.
11.   Hit “publish”.
12.   Feel a sense of accomplishment.

Eventually I vocalized my irritation at the tedious nature of my photo shrinking system. My best friend said something like “I just use my photo editing program and resize them all together in a batch. Check your photo editing software.”

I became surprisingly sullen and angry. Why did she get to have a Mac with wonderful programs like iPhoto and also a more brilliant mind that knows its way around a computer? I don’t have photo editing software. I don’t think. And if I do, I have no idea what it is or where to find it.

Sadness.

A few weeks later I lost the chip and rediscovered my “can-do” curiosity. I’m sure there are still even better ways to mass-edit photos, but here’s what I found:

Microsoft Office Picture Manager!

My new blog system goes like this:

1.       Major holiday!
2.       Take lots of pictures of everything festive!
3.       Procrastinate.
4.       Procrastinate.
5.       Choose a ton of photos to include in festive family holiday blog post.  Copy and paste into a “To Blog” folder.
6.       Open Microsoft Office Picture Manager and magically shrink photos, sometimes 80+ photos, all at the same time.

I’ll now pretend that I want to blog about some of my craftiness. I chose 24 crafty photos and saved them in a folder that I named “To Blog”.

I opened Picture Manager and the giant red arrow is pointing to the words “Edit pictures”

Click on the words “Resize pictures.” Highlight all 24 pictures (do I explain how?) (click on the first picture, hold the shift key and then click on the last picture) The giant red arrow is now pointing to the word “Resize”

I choose a percentage of original width/height (usually 30%) and almost instantaneously all photos become a fraction of their former size.

Then proceed as usual:
7.       Write some words.
8.       Insert some photos.
9.       Hit “publish”.
10.   Feel a sense of accomplishment.

Two steps shorter! Less whining and procrastination=more happiness for everyone.

I use Microsoft Office and I shrink photos to add to my blog posts. You might have a different photo editing program and have another reason to edit batches of photos.

Moral of the story: It is possible to simultaneously edit (not just resize, but edit in all kinds of fancy ways) a group of photos.

I just want everyone to know that it’s possible.  Also, that for me it was basically life changing.

Pin It!

No comments: