Wednesday, March 30, 2011

No-Buy?

Has anyone ever tried to go a period of time without buying groceries? I am toying with the idea of going two weeks on, two weeks off with grocery shopping. The first two weeks would be grocery shopping as normal, particularly stocking up on good deals of things we eat regularly. The second two weeks would be focused on using what is in our pantry, fridge, freezer, etc. We would still be able to buy milk, bread, and produce as needed. Perhaps also making exceptions for items we find through couponing that are 50% or more off their normal price that we consume on a regular basis.

So has anyone ever tried something like this? How did it go?

Pin It!

5 comments:

Ramsey said...

I swear you have a tap into my brain. You always post on things I'm thinking about. I've never done this but I've been thinking about it. I have a hard time going one day without spending money somewhere. It's a problem I'm trying to overcome. I would love to go a whole week without buying groceries or food of some sort!

D said...

It seems like it might be easier to buy every other week instead of two weeks buying and two weeks off? Or is that what you meant? It would still me you only shopped two weeks out of the month- 1 at the beginning and one in the middle. I need to tighten up my grocery/shopping budget. Thanks for the reminder. I think I will menu plan today!

Katie said...

D, I thought about that, but then I was worried we would just "stock up" for the next week and just do two weeks' worth of grocery shopping at once and not save as much money. For me, the point is to use what we already have. I don't know, we're giving it a try this month going two weeks on, two weeks off. We'll see how it goes!

I am happy though because the kids wanted some candy to use for a guessing game after Church Conference and I normally would have gotten it. But my husband and I sat down and realized we could use chocolate chips, marshmallows, and fruit snacks from our pantry. So there's a few dollars saved already! :)

D said...

Let me know how it goes! That's awesome that you already found some savings from thinking about what is in your pantry first!

Sharon Johnson said...

I had a friend that didn't grocery shop every year for the period of the LOST season. because "she was on the island" They were aloud milk and eggs, which was from the bunker :) ... and that was it I think. She loved it. Cleaned out her pantry once a year! They also had a no spending rule. She would suggest it to anyone.