Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cornbread Salad



This is a perfect recipe for summer potlucks! It's different, light, and looks gorgeous! This is one of those recipes that I never actually have in my binder, because every time I make it, I print out the recipe and take it with me, because I know someone is going to ask me for it. It's a little unusual because of the cornbread, but give it a try - it's delicious!

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (16 ounce) package corn bread mix, cooked and crumbled
  • 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans beans, rinsed and drained (I usually use one can of pinto beans and one can of black beans)
  • 3 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped bell pepper (any color will work, whichever you prefer)
  • 1 cup chopped green onion
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 (11 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained (you can also use 2 cups frozen corn)
To make the dressing, whisk the sour cream, mayo/Miracle Whip, and ranch dressing mix.

The rest of the salad can go together in two ways. The first option is to toss all the ingredients together. This helps all the flavors combine, but it doesn't look as pretty.

The second is to layer it in a trifle dish. I do half the cornbread, then beans, then the peppers, tomatoes, and green onions, then the corn, bacon, and cheese, and then the dressing. Then repeat the layers. I always reserve some bacon and green onions for the top, because I think it looks nicer than just the dressing.

When finished, chill at least 2 hours (and up to over night) before serving.

NOTE: I don't personally like a lot of dressing, so I always have about a half cup of left over. However, it's a matter of your personal preference.




The finished product! Bring the recipe with you when you take this to your summer baby shower, picnic, or potluck, because you WILL get asked for it! It's so different and interesting, people always want to talk to me about this dish. Enjoy!

*inspired by the recipe on allrecipes.com by Hidden Valley Ranch

Pin It!

No comments: