Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Update on No-Buy

Well, our first two weeks of No-Buy went GREAT! Only $38 for the first two weeks of the month for Groceries (two trips to Fred Meyer for milk, bread, and produce)!

Here are some of my highlights:

*We usually do a guessing game with candy for our Church's annual conference to make sure the kids listen to the speakers. We brainstormed and decided we could use chocolate chips, marshmallows, and fruit snacks, and the kids were perfectly happy!

*I had planned to go to the store and buy some snacks for my students for state standardized testing time (I had a small group of 3). One of them requested peanuts in the shells, and it turns out I had a bag in our pantry!

*We had amazing posole, a Mexican soup with pork and hominy. Who knew we had a can of hominy in our pantry? Who even knew what hominy was? Not me, on either count!

*Way higher consumption of leftovers since we were trying to preserve the food we had on hand.

*My husband said we generated much less trash as well. Not sure where the correlation is here, since we don't use very many packaged foods. So maybe it was just chance, not sure yet.

Overall, a very successful experiment. We're on to two weeks of grocery shopping as normal, then once May 1st rolls around we'll start No-Buy again.

Pin It!

No comments: