Monday, January 7, 2013

Recent Reads

Here's what I've been reading to start off 2013. I don't really enjoy recapping the plot of the books I read, so you'll just have to click through to Goodreads to read about the plot, and here you get to find out all my ever-so-interesting feelings about what I'm reading!

*FlowertownFlowertown by S.G. Redling
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I thought this would be a typical YA dystopian book, which I enjoy if I'm in the mood for it, but it was a little on the graphic side for me with the language. I don't mind swearing in a book, but this seemed gratuitous, like she was trying really hard to establish a "bad girl" protagonist. The storyline was okay, and I wanted to finish it to find out how it ended, but I just wasn't super emotionally invested in the characters.

View all my reviews

*When You Reach MeWhen You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an easy, quick Young Adult read - got through it in about two hours. I loved the characters and the plot, and never could have put it down. Enjoyed the realistic writing about middle school-aged kids, their problems and outlook on life, particularly the main character Miranda, as she tries to figure out her friends, family, and crush - while simultaneously trying to solve the mystery of some secret notes someone has been leaving for her.

View all my reviews

*A Grown-Up Kind of PrettyA Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I fell in love with the three female characters in this book, and their relationships with each other. I'm such a sucker for books that involve a changing point-of-view, and the relationships between mothers and daughters. I thought the youngest of the three, Mosey, was written as a very true-to-life teenager, and I loved her exchanges with her mother and her grandmother. One of the characters narrating the story has had a stroke, and I found her chapters so interesting, to see how the author had her describe events and her life, even as she's had this "brain event." I was actually enjoying the book so much I toyed with giving it 5 stars, even though I feel stupid doing that for "chick lit" books, but then some of the events at the end got a little ridiculous, in my opinion. But a solid 4-stars. Not a life-changer, but I enjoyed every minute of reading it while snuggled up on the couch.

View all my reviews
  *Before I FallBefore I Fall by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Hmmmmm.... not sure how to even rate or review this book. I didn't like the beginning, and I didn't like the end, but there must have been something to it, since I blew through all 470 pages of it in one night - holding my breath, waiting to see how it ended. The portrayal of high school life was so accurate that it almost made me dislike the book - I felt only vaguely interested, like I was hanging out in a cafeteria watching the action. The middle of the book did get more interesting, and of course I had to hang in there until the end. But even though I devoured it, I can't say that I'd recommend it to anyone. Maybe a teenager? I'm reading all these other glowing reviews and just feel like I'm missing something....

View all my reviews The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to ThinThe Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin by Greg Critser
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. While there's no way I'm willing to go as extreme as the rules he recommends (No potatoes - ever! No fast food - ever!), he had some great points about diet and nutrition, and cited some interesting studies. There was also a large recipe section in the back of the book, and the recipes look fairly simple, tasty, and nutritious! Will definitely be incorporating some of his rules into my diet as guidelines, but I'm just not willing to eat as "clean" as he recommends (though I don't doubt my body would be a lot more fit if I did!).

View all my reviews

Pin It!

No comments: